Do you over-complicate the goal setting and business planning process?
As coaches, we see two extremes when it comes to creating a plan for goal achievement.
1. No plan at all
2. A plan that is way too cumbersome and complex
Often those who do not create a plan or put anything in writing state that they just feel overwhelmed with the process. For the people who over-complicate it with multiple spreadsheets, charts, graphs, and hours of time on endless checklists and systems, it can become a distraction we refer to as "getting ready to get ready."
Either extreme can certainly impede your ability to accomplish your goals, so we are sharing with a very simple tool called the 1-3-5. We didn't create it and we aren't really sure of it's origination, but we learned about it many years ago as agents. Since then, we have used it in our own business planning and have helped many of our coaching clients get clarity on their goals by using it.
1. State your primary objective.
Example: I intend to help 95 senior adult homeowners sell their homes in 2013.
2. Create 3 Goals that when achieved, will cause your intention to become a reality.
Example: Goal 1 - Maintain listing inventory of 20 salable listings at all times. Goal 2 - Create relationships with 5 senior communities who refer to me. Goal 3 - Operating expenses will stay below $$ _____ monthly.
3. Establish 5 action steps for each of the 3 goals which will lead to the achievement of the goals.
Goal 1 action steps
(1) Create 33 touch program to my MET database of 500 senior adult homeowners and senior service providers
(2) Make contact with my MET database via phone or in person a minimum of 6 times per year
(3) Add ____ new contacts to my MET database through senior networking groups monthly.
(4) Create a following of 1000 people by blogging on local senior related topics
(5) Engage with my world class resource team weekly to refer and receive referrals.
* Do this for each of the 3 Goals.
Once you have completed your 1-3-5, look at the action steps and goals.
Do you need to create a separate 1-3-5 for any goals or action steps so you are clear about what it will take to achieve them?
Drill down using the 1-3-5 process as many times as you need to in order to gain clarity and focus.
Remember to include daily activities based on your action plan and block time in your schedule in order to complete them. Building a business doesn't just HAPPEN...you must be intentional.
|Nikki Buckelew is the Founder and CEO of the Seniors Real Estate Institute and administrator for the Certified Senior Housing Professional® (CSHP) designation. A veteran REALTOR® of over two decades, she holds a bachelor’s degree in gerontology and a master’s degree in counseling psychology. As a professional speaker, coach, and trainer, Nikki is committed to empowering, equipping, and educating real estate sales and senior housing professionals seeking to better serve the mature market segment.